Yearbook title： 北京统计年鉴
Yearbook English title： BEIJING STATISTICAL YEARBOOK
Editorial institution： Beijing Municipal Bureau of Statistics;NBS Survey Office in Beijing
Publisher: China Statistics Press
Collected volumes：2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1997 1996 1995 1994 1993 1992 1991 1990 1989 1988 1987 1986 1985 1983 1982 1981 1980
Beijing Statistical Yearbook is a large statistical book published continuously on a chronological basis. With a great deal of statistical data, this Yearbook gives a true reflection of the social and economic development and changes in Beijing over the past year. It serves as an important reference book for domestic and foreign personnel in all circles to understand and know Beijing.
I. Framework Structure
(I) Overall Structure
The overall structure of Beijing Statistical Yearbook remains basically stable. In color pages, main features and highlights about economic and social development of Beijing in this year have been presented with both illustration and pictures; statistical tables are the main part of this Yearbook, mainly including 23 chapters, i.e. General Survey; National Accounts; Population and Employment; Energy, Resources and Environmental Protection; Total Investment in Fixed Assets and Real Estate Development; Government Finance and Tax Revenues; Price Index; People’s Livelihood; Public Utilities; Agriculture and Rural Economy; Industry; Construction; Transport, Post and Telecommunication Service; Wholesale and Retail Trade, Accomodation and Restaurants; Foreign Trade; Tourism; Finance and Insurance; Education and Culture; Science and Technology; Health Care and Sports; Social Welfare, Community, Plicies & Laws and Others; Tertiary Industry; and Development Zones 23 chapters in total, reflecting the economic and social development situation across the city through multiple industries and fields.
(II) Structure of Chapters
Internal structure of chapters: Each chapter is composed of the Brief Introduction, Statistical Tables and Explanatory Notes to Main Statistical Indicators. Brief Introduction appears on the first page of each chapter, mainly introducing the main content, source of data, statistical scope, indicator standards, method of adjustment to historical data in each chapter; Explanatory Notes to Main Statistical Indicators come on the last page of each chapter, mainly giving a brief explanation to the main indicators and calculation method, etc. involved in the chapter; Statistical Tables are the core content of each chapter.
Arrangement of statistical tables: In each chapter, statistical tables are arranged for the purpose of reflecting the main conditions in the field. Generally speaking, historical statistical tables come before current year statistical tables.
II. How to Use
Conventionally, the year indicated in the book is the year of publication. The latest data indicated in the statistical tables in this Yearbook are data in the previous years. For example, this book is titled 2016 Bejing Statistical Yearbook, which means it will be published in 2016 while the lastest data in the book is by the end of 2015.
“Years” in the statistical tables are marked in three ways, each indicating a different meaning. Firstly, the statistical table is named “****** (AAAA- BBBB)”, which refers to that the data listed in the table are those from the year of AAAA to BBBB; Secondly, the statistical table contains no years, indicating that the data listed in the table are those of current year and last year; Thirdly, the statistical table is named “****** (AAAA)”, indicating that the data listed in the table are those of the year of AAAA.
Symbols in statistical tables include:
#: means that the item is included in the total. Grouped indicators marked with “#” are part of the total, while those without“#” mean that sum of inclded items equals to the total.
||: means that there are multiple ways of grouping the indicators.
…: means that the figure is less than the minimum measurement unit of the table.
Blank: mean that the figure is unknown or unavailable.
***: means that the figure is not disclosed for secrecy reasons.
Explanations include User Guide, Table of Contents, Brief Introduction, Explanatory Notes to Main Statistical Indicators and notes under the tables. User Guide appears before the Table of Contents, giving an introduction to the overall framework of this Yearbook, and explaining the main adjustments; Brief Introduction appears on the first page of each chapter, giving an introduction to the chapter’s main content, source of data, statistical scope, standards of indicators, adjustment method of historical data, etc; Notes under the statistical tables make an explanation on standard of some indicators, method and scope, etc.
In general cases, the first tables in each chapter contain historical data of core indicators in the area or field. Generally speaking, historical data that are shown in one table continuously by year can be used continuously. But it is also necessary to refer to the notes under the table in order to have a full understanding of the connation of indicators; historical data that are shown in several tables indicate that there were major adjustments to relevant indicators, and they need to be reflected by sections.
In addition, some of the historical data in the latest yearbook may have been adjusted over data in previous yearbooks. Therefore, please refer to the latest yearbook when enquiring or using historical data.
(V) Electronic CD-ROM
Beijing Statistical Yearbook is provided with a CD-ROM, which containes Chinese and English versions of this Yearbook. The CD-ROM helps users in working with and processing the data.
(VI) The sum of some statistics or some relative numbers in this Yearbook might have certain calculation errors because of the choice of different units of measurement. All the statistics have not undergone mechanical adjustment.
III. About 2016 Beijing Statistical Yearbook
Compared with 2015 Beijing Statistical Yearbook, the following adjustments have been mainly made:
1. According to the use demand of data in recent years, a data table of “Information on Total Energy Consumption and Compositions” is added in the chapter of Energy and Environment and a data table of “Total Output Value of Strategic Emerging Industries of Industrial Enterprises” in the chapter of Industry.
2. According to the requirements on the reform of integration of urban and rural residents survey of the National Bureau of Statistics, data of urban and rural residents’ revenue and expenditure shall be issued in accordance with the new reform approach in 2015. Twelve data tables reflecting the revenue and expenditure of the residents in Beijing in the chapter of People’s Life. The former table form of revenue and expenditure data of urban and rural residents is revised and the data under old and new approach are linked up to ensure that the readers can use the data accurately, follwing the principle of data continuity.
3. Certain historical data, such as gross regional domestic product and total retail sales of consumer goods under same approach were revised in the 2015 Beijing Statistical Yearbook and part certain historical data in the chapter of Energy, Resources and Enviroment Protection under same approach were revised in the 2016 Beijing Statistical Yearbook in accordance with the results of the Third Economic Census to guarantee the comparability of data. The specific revised content includes: the energy output, total energy consumption, total energy consumption per 10,000 yuan of GDP and decrease rate of 2005-2012, the energy consumption structure, elasticity coefficient energy consumption, energy consumption per 10,000 yuan of GDP, per-capita energy consumption for living, daily consumption of main energy varieties of 2010-2012, etc.
4. In 2015, Miyun County and Yanqing County were removed and replaced by Miyun District and Yanqing District and the former administrative region of Miyun County and Yanqing County were replaced by the administrative region of Miyun District and Yanqing District in Beijing separately according to the approval of the State Council. Certain titles related to “Removal of County and Establishment of District” are specified and used uniformly in the Yearbook.
5. Continue to strengthen the text revision work of the Yearbook to make it easier for readers to understand the data changes. 1) To revise the content of the overview part of each chapter, comprehensively reflecting the data content, data sources, statistical standards and the historical changes of data and so on; 2) To timely revise or adjust the explanation part of the major indicators attached after the body text in each chapter according to the changes of indicators and the content of indicators of that very year and so on; 3) To pay attention to updating the content of notes under the tables, accurately reflecting the changes and adjustments of the data approach of that very year to make readers understand the data changes and accurately use the annual statistical data in different periods and different sectors.